[NCLUG] HP visualize questions

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Sat Sep 8 10:55:18 MDT 2001

I met some people in the group some six months ago who worked for HP in
the Linux group. I have an Visualize X550 that I had replaced the OS that
came with it with Linux. I have not gotten it fully configured and have a
few questions.

The first is regarding CDW. The HOW-TO makes the assumption that HDs are
IDE. Some of the steps make me wonder if they aren't appropriate for
systems with SCSI HDs. I've been hesitant to follow the HOW-TO
instructions for fear that I'd screw up the HDs. Can you point me to any
instructions that will definitely work for the X550? Or do you know if the
HOW-TO will work? Any words of wisdom?

The second is regarding sound. Any directions you can point me to? Words
of wisdom?

The third (and final) is regarding X. One of the people I spoke to
suggested getting a Mattrox card instead of putzing with the HP video. Is
there a particular card recommended?

TIA

Peace, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B