[NCLUG] HP visualize questions

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Sep 10 01:23:23 MDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 10:55:18AM -0600, William Dan Terry wrote:
>The first is regarding CDW. The HOW-TO makes the assumption that HDs are
>IDE. Some of the steps make me wonder if they aren't appropriate for
>systems with SCSI HDs. I've been hesitant to follow the HOW-TO

Well, cdrecord has a "scanbus" option -- use that and it'll list the SCSI
bus and device numbers that it finds.  You tell it what device to us by
listing "bus,scsi ID,0", so as long as you don't list the SCSI ID of a SCSI
disc, you should be fine.  You DO have to load the ide_scsi module for that
drive (see Luke's posts about that) if it's an IDE burner, then it looks
like a SCSI drive...

>The second is regarding sound. Any directions you can point me to? Words
>of wisdom?

I usually use sndconfig on RedHat/KRUD.

>The third (and final) is regarding X. One of the people I spoke to
>suggested getting a Mattrox card instead of putzing with the HP video. Is
>there a particular card recommended?

The Matrox cards are pretty nice and very cheap.  I'm not really keeping up
with it, but I think that the G400s are cheap and well supported.

 Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.