[NCLUG] Lilo

Daniel Miles dmiles at holly.colostate.edu
Fri Sep 28 09:22:29 MDT 2001

Yes
I ran into exactly this problem. If you have the install CD, there's
usually a rescue mode on that. If you don't have the install discs, I
*believe* that suse offers a "rescue floppy" image via ftp. I'm not sure
so don't kill me if I'm wrong. Does anybody know where you can get a
Linux rescue system?

You need to know what drive and partition your Lin install is on, then
you mount it from the rescue program (a really simple linux that boots
totally off the CD). Mine is on hdb5 so my commands look like this:

mkdir linuxInstall #makes a directory to mount my lin install to
mount -t ext2 hdb5 linuxInstall #mounts the lin install as an ext2
filesystem at hdb5 to
				      #the directory linuxInstall, meaning that linuxInstall is
				      #now the root directory for your linux system instead of /
				      #which is your root directory for the rescue system.

from there, you'll run a program called chroot which runs something on a
root filesystem that you specify.

chroot linuxInstall lilo # runs the command lilo with linuxInstall as the
root filesystem.

That should have you on a dual boot right as rain with your origional
lilo configuration. Of course if you need to change your lilo
configuration, it would be in /linuxInstall/etc/lilo.conf

On 9/28/01, 8:16:05 AM, Henc Bouwmeester <hencbouwmeester at yahoo.com> wrote
regarding [NCLUG] Lilo: