[NCLUG] machine cuts power

Daniel Miles dmiles at holly.colostate.edu
Tue Aug 27 19:08:13 MDT 2002

Question:
Every three or four hours my machine cuts its power and reboots (often
the BIOS has an error at this point and the machine won't boot at all
'till I actually hit the power button). It almost feels like a heat
issue but I've got the machine in a cool room (basement) and the heat
sensors don't register anything above normal. It also seems to be
completely independent of anything I'm doing, it's just as likely to cut
while the machine is idle as during heavy usage.

So then I thought it might be software and I tried to reconfigure my
kernel. I took out the power management and I thought my problems were
solved, the machine stayed up for a week solid but now it's doing it
again and I can't think what I might have changed to make the problem
come back.

My System:
AMD 1800+ processor
MSI KT3 Ultra mainboard
512MB DDR RAM
Debian Linux

I took it to the people I bought it from and they said that one of my
HD's reported bad in some diagnostics and they thought it was
responsible... The problem is that I'm now running the machine without
that drive and it's still doing it.

Can anybody think what it might be and what I can do to solve the
problem? I've searched the internet for docs talking about this problem
but it doesn't seem to be common enough that anybody has written and
poasted anything on it.