[NCLUG] Can't kill process

BJ Tiemessen tiemesse at CS.ColoState.EDU
Fri Dec 6 17:36:26 MST 2002

I have a hung process than just won't die.  I was trying to install an
RPM off a cdrom and now rpmdrake is hung and my cdrom drive has been
spinning for a few hours.  I've spent an hour searching the internet and
cant find any helpfull information on this.  I have tried kill -9 and
killall but both fail to kill the process.  I was able to kill the
parent processes so now the PPID is 1, but I still cant kill PID 7244.
 I know I could always reboot but I would like to learn how to do this
just in case I ever run into this again in an environment where I cant
reboot as easy.
Thanks.

BJ