[NCLUG] Can't kill process

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Fri Dec 6 17:47:24 MST 2002

* On 2002-12-07 00:37 BJ Tiemessen <tiemesse at CS.ColoState.EDU> wrote:
> I have a hung process than just won't die.  I was trying to install an
> RPM off a cdrom and now rpmdrake is hung and my cdrom drive has been
> spinning for a few hours.  I've spent an hour searching the internet and
> cant find any helpfull information on this.  I have tried kill -9 and
> killall but both fail to kill the process.  I was able to kill the
> parent processes so now the PPID is 1, but I still cant kill PID 7244.
> I know I could always reboot but I would like to learn how to do this
> just in case I ever run into this again in an environment where I cant
> reboot as easy.

You'll want to kill the process that has the open file on the cdrom.
You can find that out by finding out which file is open:
   lsof

Which creates a report:
init         1     root  mem    REG        3,6    33960     393638
/sbin/init
init         1     root  mem    REG        3,6    87341     213361
/lib/ld-2.2.9
3.so

The processname is on the left, the pid the next column.

                            http://www.tummy.com/