[NCLUG] X Includes location?

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Fri Dec 20 09:14:51 MST 2002

J. Paul Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Rich Young wrote:
>

>>Running "locate X | grep includes" returns too many results for me to be
>>comfortable guessing.  Anyone?
>
> You need the XFree86-devel-4.2.0-8 RPM; that's from a RedHat 7.3 system, so
> the KRUD 8.0 RPM might have a slightly different version number, but it
> should still be XFree86-devel-something-something

For what it is worth, 'includes' usually means file that are included in
a C source file.  They end with a '.h' extension.  For instance, Xlib.h
is on my machine, located in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h.  So "locate
.h | grep ^X" might have been more useful to you.... maybe not.

That said, preed is most likely correct -- once you install the devel
package, it will likely 'just work'.  You won't have to tell it where to
look for the includes, because the package will install them.