[NCLUG] [OT] Free (as in beer) small-business seminar

Marc Poulin mpoulin at verinet.com
Fri Feb 1 08:05:10 MST 2002

This is off-topic, but I thought it might be of interest.

Regards,
Marc

CSIA is inviting all of the w3w3 Talk Radio Listeners to a workshop on How
To Win an SBIR Grant. This is a valuable opportunity you don't want to miss.
If you can't make it send someone from your company -  this is BIG!  A lot
of people have put in great effort to provide this information to you FREE.

All the information you need below - REGISTER Immediately!

Two Dates, Two Locations, Too Important to miss!

Pat and Larry Nelson will be there and we hope to see you there too!
www.w3w3.com Internet Talk Radio - Promoting Your Business in Colorado on
the Internet to the World

CSIA, CU Business Advancement Center, & Lakewood SBDC
presents WINNING SMALL BUSINESS INNOVATION RESEARCH GRANTS

Get Money for research & development
Get Money to start a business
Get Money for cash flow
Learn how SBIR's can mean money for your software/internet company

Time: 7:30 am - noon
Cost: FREE
RSVP: events at coloradosoftware.org

Workshop I north:
Wed. Feb. 13, 2001, Raintree Conference Center, 1900 Ken Pratt Blvd.,
Longmont

Workshop II south (same content as Workshop I):
Fri. Feb. 15, 2001, Worldcom Headquarters, 6312 S. Fiddler's Green Circle, 6
East Main Classroom, Greenwood Village
Small Business Innovation Research Grants provide financial support to small
firms for innovative research that meets federal agency research interests
and has commercial potential for the firm. These are grants - not loans or
equity positions!

Learn how to use the SBIR program in your business development strategy:

Use SBIR funds to supplement your internal R&D budget to develop that next
generation product or process;
Start a new company by developing and commercializing a new technology.
Federal agencies award Phase I SBIR grants and fixed-price contracts of up
to $100,000 for 6 months research to test and demonstrate technical
feasibility of a proposed research project - with additional grant funds
possibly available for commercializing products.

Many of these solicitations offer opportunities for software development
solutions. Our half-day workshops are offered at no cost to CSIA members and
nonmembers alike. Workshop content includes:

Overview of the national SBIR and STTR programs (agencies involved,
timelines, criteria);
How to identify research solicitations that meet your company's expertise
and business goals;
Assistance available to help software companies prepare proposals and
commercialize completed research;
Experience of other firms that have used SBIR to fund software development
creating new products and expertise to grow their business;
SBIR Phase I proposal preparation strategies, instructions and tips.
Additional FAST Program Services
Available to Colorado software companies only!

Colorado's Federal And State Technology (FAST) program, funded by the US
Small Business Administration and Colorado Commission on Higher Education,
allows us to offer the following services specifically to Colorado software
companies:

Phase I Proposal Preparation Assistance:

Following the workshop, Colorado software development companies who are new
to the SBIR program (have not yet won an SBIR research award), will be
eligible for Phase I proposal assistance from the Lakewood Small Business
Development Center at no charge.

This will include business planning and strategy development, researching
solicitation topics, guidance in proposal preparation and a professional
proposal critique. These firms will also receive a database literature
search at the CU Business Advancement Center to support proposal development
and preliminary market information. If firms need to identify specialized
expertise to consult on a portion of their project, CU-BAC will also help
identify potential consulting partners within the higher education research
faculty.

Industry Roundtable:

An SBIR Roundtable for the software industry will be held in the spring
where firms can learn from the experience of award winners and service
providers about the challenges, successes, tips and lessons learned in
proposal preparation and commercialization of SBIR research.

SBIR Commercialization Assistance:

Colorado companies that have won an SBIR award, and are preparing to
commercialize a software product developed from that research, are eligible
for assistance from the CU Business Advancement Center. The following
services are offered:

Up to 12-hours of staff time at no charge to obtain information for a Phase
II or III commercialization plan on market, industry, competitor, strategic
partners, patents or trade name, etc. This could include a database search,
key contact interviews and written summary of results. (The company pays
on-line database charges);
Confidential assessment of the company's commercialization strategy to
identify weaknesses and gaps, suggest sources of information and assistance;
Confidential review of the firm's written business plan for commercializing
the SBIR technology, with a critique of strengths and weakness;
Help in accessing students from higher education institutions to help
correct weaknesses in the business plan;
Companies interested in commercializing their technology in rural Colorado
(through strategic partnering, licensing or location of company operations)
may be selected to receive additional services.
"This Program is partially funded through a cooperative agreement with the
U.S. Small Business Administration. SBA's funding is not an endorsement of
any products, opinions or services. All SBA programs are extended to the
public on a nondiscriminatory basis."

Special thanks to:
Longmont Area Economic Council, Prototest, Holme Roberts & Owen,
Worldcom, The Boulder County Business Report