[NCLUG] MUA

Mark Fassler fassler at monkeysoft.net
Thu Feb 14 13:25:37 MST 2002

Currently using mutt.

I used elm for many years, so I just made mutt behave almost exactly like
elm.

Why I use mutt:

  - supports Maildirs  (I use qmail for my MTA)
  - allows me to have multiple sessions of mutt open (this is handy if I'm
    writing an email and I suddenly realize that I want to reference
    another email).
  - I can customize how the messages are displayed (I have the top bar
    displayed inverse with Author|Subject|Time of email, and the rest is
    *just* the message, no headers, no nothing -- just content.  If I
    want to see the headers, I press "h" and all of the headers appear.)
  - Handles attachments correctly (without me having to configure
    anything, like elm/MIME/whatever crap).
  - Can make it behave like elm, which I happen to like (but that's just
    personal preference.)

Features that mutt has that I might like to use someday:
  - Built-in support for PGP/GPG
  - support for IMAP

If all you're doing is email (even with multiple accounts / folders etc)
I think that mutt is the most powerful text-based MUA I've seen.

The only reason I would ever even consider switching from mutt is so that
I can view inline graphics or inline html*, but so far that hasn't been
enough motivation for me to switch.  (That, and I've never found a decent
GUI MUA on Linux... mebbe there's an xmutt?)

--
Mark Fassler
fassler at monkeysoft.net

* actully, inline html sucks anyway...