[NCLUG] Living without windows? LONG

Corey Snipes corey at snipes.com
Mon Feb 18 23:02:20 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 16:44, BOF wrote:

> >I'm looking for advice on migrating to linux permanently, for all my computing  needs. <snip>
> >
> Hello,
>
> After reading your requirements, I'm not so sure that converting to
> Linux as your primary OS would be the best thing for you.
>
> The primary thing that would prevent you from using Linux is your need
> to run VB and Access....

I'd agree with this, actually.  I *love* linux and have been using it as my only home
OS for about a year now, but I've had to make a few sacrifices like ignoring most
Word and Excel docs, not using MSIE, and the like.  At work I deal with Linux,
NT, Win2K, BSD, and Solaris servers, but I use Win2k as my primary workstation OS.
(I also have a linux box, but it's not my main machine.)  I just found it too
difficult to efficiently interact with a MS-powered workplace and MS-powered clients.
Everyone loves Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and saying "hey, could you re-send that
attachment as a text-only email?" just got old after the 1056th time.

Given your VB and Access requirements, and the fact that you have a copy of '98,
I'd shell out the bucks for a new drive, put it in the "old castaway project"
machine, leave your KRUD box as-is, and use 'em both.  (If you've got the space,
monitors, keyboards, mice, etc.) The dual-boot idea mentioned earlier would
be great as well.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

(Flame suit on!)

(:  Corey Snipes