[NCLUG] A question about a web server and broadband.

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Feb 20 18:48:55 MST 2002

	I also used a free forwarding service from dnsq.org.  they have a
	program for Linux called dnsQclient that reports your current IP address
	back to their server for forwarding.  It has worked well for me for months,
	now (both in the Excite days and after).  your web address becomes
	mydomain.dnsq.org.

While these services serve a niche need, they are also frequently used to abuse
other services - like the rate structure of an ISP - which is not good for the
ISP or it's customer. Rates are established on averaging costs inside user pools
with common usage patterns - when certain uses like providing a web cam server,
or MP3 server drive up the bandwidth (IE COST to the ISP) it ultimately results
in either raising the rates for everyone or closing their doors. When such uses
are prohibited by the terms of use agreement, customers willfully violating it,
instead of purchasing a rate plan (IE more expensive plan to cover the bandwidth
costs) where their use is acceptable, are doing nothing more than stealing from
the ISP (and indirectly other customers who honor their legal agreement implied
by the terms of use agreement.

Some people get a kick out of cheating the IRS, or AT&T, or other big entity - but
in the end they are really cheating everyone around them since all those entities
end up passing on the costs for the theft. At some point if we are tired of high
taxes and high ISP rates, we need to say enough is enough to this robin hood theft,
becase none of them are really robin hood and passing the wealth to the poor around
them.

It's not clear, that NCLUG should be a forum for planning how to cheat ISP's, or
even imply that is a noble goal.

Just My two cents,
John