[NCLUG] is mod_rewrite what i want

mbutcher mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Sun Feb 24 09:29:16 MST 2002

You should be able to use redirect, which (I believe) sends a HTTP 304 to the
browser, and the browser will redirect itself.

This means you shouldn't have to do any fooling around with changing the
server config, etc.

In a nutshell, it looks like this:

Brower ----------[http://mydomain/list]---------> server

Browser <-------[go to http://mydomain/mailman/list] ---- server

Browser ---------[http://mydomain/mailman/list]------->server

This is, of course, all transparent to the user.

AND, before anyone flames about performance, the overhead is equiv. to an
HTTP HEAD, so I doubt you will notice a performance hit on a normal network.