[NCLUG] Public comments on Microsoft Anti-Trust Case Settlement requested

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sat Jan 12 08:24:43 MST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:44:15PM -0700, Daniel Miles wrote:
>Huh, you know, I'm *almost* ok with that... Schools need computers so
>badly and MS does make good software for total computer idiots, I think
>they're (MS) nice to have around for that.

The problem is that while the settlement was for something on the order of
a billion dollars, 90% of what MS was offering was in software licensing
costs that they would waive for 5 years.  My understanding is that after 5
years the schools would be REQUIRED to pay the licensing.

However, I don't really see giving Apple's market to MS as being a
punnishment for MS.  MS has long had difficulties getting into the
educational market because Apple is so strong there.

 It is far from clear whether "good intentions plus stupidity" or "evil
 intentions plus intelligence" have wrought more harm in the world.
                 --- Domer, The Logic of Failure