[NCLUG] wierd problem

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 16 11:16:14 MST 2002

dmiles> I have a *really* strange problem with my linux box that I was
dmiles> hoping somebody could help me with.

dmiles> I can't get www.sun.com to come into my computer. I know it's
dmiles> up because I can ssh into a friend's computer and use lynx to
dmiles> get it but my system won't do it. The other oddity is that
dmiles> it's only the sun website... I can even get java.sun.com but
dmiles> not sun.com...

dmiles> ... snipp...

dmiles> Does anybody have *any* clue what's going on?

dmiles> Is my system filtering those packets for some reason? Has sun
dmiles> blocked my IP or something?

Just a wild guess... do you have a custom compiled kernel?

Did you enable TCP_ECN?

you can check by doing:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

if it's 1 then it's enabled. Disable it with:

echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

and then try connecting to sun again...

ECN is a cool way of lessening congestion on the backbone routers, but
some broken firewalls drop packets with the ECN bit set. :(

If it's not ECN, can you ping www.sun.com? traceroute to it?
Do you have a firewall possibly blocking it?

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.