[NCLUG] ah, Debian

Daniel Miles dmiles at holly.colostate.edu
Tue Jan 29 13:17:42 MST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:27:32 -0800 (PST)
Person Who Asked To Have Her Name Removed From The Internet <ADDRESS_REMOVED_BY_REQUEST> wrote:

> hi!
>
> Debian issues:
>  * lost enlightenment and gnome's toolbar on x.  It all just disappeared.
>   How do I get it back?

I'd try running gnomecc and finding out if the problems are in there... sometimes Linux is like a newtons cradle, you fix one thing and something else flies off.

>  * my sound card doesn't seem to be debian-activated.  How
>   do I get Debian to recognize/use the soundcard? (basic soundcard)

If this is a new debian system sound card files often get created with the wrong permissions. try "chmod 777 /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer" I'll bet it'll work after that.

>  * I got a laptop running Me and bought a cable to connect
>   two computers via ethernet cards RJ-something male/male connector).
> Debian has an ethernet card
>   which has been used before wehn I brought my machine into
>   a LUG meeting

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, could you refrase?