[NCLUG] Help needed getting networking running in Debian

Sivea Key siveakey at attbi.com
Wed Jul 10 23:18:28 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jake Edge" <jake at edge2.net>
To: <nclug at nclug.org>; <siveakey at attbi.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: [NCLUG] Help needed getting networking running in Debian

.lynx:
> > router
> > bytes".
> > >
> > > This looks odd ... it would appear that box 2 and the router both have
the
> > > IP address of 192.168.1.1 (or the router is resolving, via DNS or
> > /etc/hosts,
> > > possibly incorrectly, to that address ...
> >
> > when I ifconfig -a the settings are listed correctly for lo and eth0.
> > I did write a line "192.168.1.1  router" in /etc/hosts. Could that be a
> > problem? I don't have a DNS server for the LAN yet and the router is
just
> > "NAT"-ing and router for the cable modem. The Macs and Windows boxes are
> > working fine and have all along so it's not IN the router that the
problem
> > lies. I wish I knew enough to set up dhcp for the 3 Debian boxes!
>
> Hmm, dunno too much about Debian (yet!  I am working on an install on a
box
> as I type this), but I may have misunderstood the ping output you had in
> your first message ... so, the router is 1.1 and the windoze/mac boxes
> can ping that (and/or use it as a gateway)?  What is the IP of box 2?
> I think your entry in /etc/hosts is just fine.  Can you attach the output
> of ifconfig?  Can you 'ping localhost' successfully?

Sorry, it's a bit inconvenient to attach things since I haven't set up mail
on any Debian box, only on Windoze and Mac so I typed it below for Box 2.
I ran ifconfig -a:
eth0    Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:[etc--you get the idea]
            inet addr:192.168.1.116  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
            RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overrruns:0 frame:0
            collisions:0 txqeuelen:100
            Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
            inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
            UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3924 Metric:1
            RX packets:90 errors:0 dropped:0 overrruns:0 frame:0
            collisions:0 txqeuelen:100

All the boxes are set to static addresses (Box 1 192.168.1.115, Box 2
192.168.1.116 and Box 3 192.168.1.114). And I wrote lines for each Debian
host and the router in /etc/hosts. All of the Mac/Wintel machines can fully
use the cable internet access via the Linksys router AND 2 of the Debian
boxes were running Lynx and a distributed application before I shut them
down and rebooted (my friend had tinkered with them after install to get
them running). No problem pinging localhost on Box 2 or Box 1, BTW.

****OOPS!!! I just uncovered a hub problem. Changed cables for a more direct
route and, voila, Box 2 is running. That hub is not cooperating! Will bypass
it for now.

> > > It sounds like the driver for the NIC card is not getting loaded ...
what
> > > NIC is it?  If it is the same as Box 1, do 'lsmod' as root and see if
> > there
> > > is a 'tulip.o' listed ...
> >
> > This has the same, or nearly the same, nic as Box 2. If I do find the
3c509
> > listed in lsmod, should I do something with it? Or is it that I should
do
> > something if it's NOT listed?
>
> Is the NIC in Box 3 a 3c509?  Does box2 have 3c509 listed in lsmod?

Box 3 has a Netgear FA310TX and a completely different (and more modern)
hardware configuration. lsmod on Box 2 lists 3c509 used by 1. Okay Box 2 is
working!! Box 3, which is very similar in hardware config to Box 2 does not
list any enet module! Now what? Both Box 2 and 3 have ISA 3c509 nics.