Reply-To Preservation Considered Harmful (was: Re: [NCLUG] users only)

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Jun 3 16:40:34 MDT 2002

Eric Brunson wrote:
[ lots of stuff ]

Just to throw a little JET-A on the fire...  I happen to agree with
Eric, more or less.  I'm not fond of the loss of Reply-To munging.  It
has only been in place for a few days, now, and already I've had to
resend stuff three times, because I expect the 'Reply' button to do the
right thing.  Silly me.  Eric, you're gonna get two copies of this.
Sorry.

But here's the thing I could never figure out -- instead of trying to
bash a mail service into a news service...  why don't we just use a news
service?  I am at a total loss as to why people have passed over NNTP as
a way to do this!

I'm of the belief that mailing lists are intended for a one-to-many
dissemination of information.  Announcements, notices and the like.  For
/discussions/, however, which entail things like threads...  netnews is
far more ideal.

Now, I am certainly guilty of using a butter-knife to loosen a screw or
using C when I should be using PERL.  I am no stranger to using the
wrong tool for the job.  But I only do this when a screwdriver and PERL
are not avaialable.

Am I way off base, here?