Reply-To Preservation Considered Harmful (was: Re: [NCLUG] users only)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 3 17:08:12 MDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 04:40:34PM -0600, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>But here's the thing I could never figure out -- instead of trying to
>bash a mail service into a news service...  why don't we just use a news
>service?  I am at a total loss as to why people have passed over NNTP as
>a way to do this!

Mailing lists are generally considered to have a lower bar to enterence --
you just have to send an e-mail to join it.  We *COULD* set up an NNTP
server, and Mailman will handle bridging the messages to/from NNTP just
fine (apparently, it's used for comp.lang.python, fairly successfully).

I wouldn't use NNTP to read it though.  I find mutt to be a better reader
than any of the NNTP clients I used (it's threaded mode works
delightfully).  So, I'm ok with HAVING an NNTP server, but I'm quite sure I
would not use it...

 Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something
 you HAVE done than regret something you haven't done.