[NCLUG] Mouse Sticks to Widgets After Upgrade to RH 7.3

marciot marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Tue Jun 11 17:22:45 MDT 2002

>Note that you are already using 40MB of swap.  This means that you can
>easily speed things up by adding more memory.  Your slowdowns are probably
>due to paging.  Especially when it is pulling in all types of images, etc.

So is it reasonable to expect that if I had enough memory, Linux would not use
the swap at all and the "swap used" column would show zero? It wasn't clear to
me whether that number meant, "I'm low on memory" or "I'm greedily reserving a
bunch of swap memory just in case I run out of RAM in some time in the distant
future". I didn't want to upgrade RAM unless it is actually being used for
something :)

I just wish the following would work:

   gzip /dev/mem > /dev/mem

:D