[NCLUG] Mouse Sticks to Widgets After Upgrade to RH 7.3

Charles Clarke clarke at clarkecomputer.com
Tue Jun 11 18:08:05 MDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, marciot wrote:

> >Note that you are already using 40MB of swap.  This means that you can
> >easily speed things up by adding more memory.  Your slowdowns are probably
> >due to paging.  Especially when it is pulling in all types of images, etc.
>
> So is it reasonable to expect that if I had enough memory, Linux would not use
> the swap at all and the "swap used" column would show zero?

Yes.  Since paging something in is a couple of orders of magnitude or
worse than reading it from memory, using swap can really slow you down
depending on your hit rate.  Perversely, programs with good reuse(i.e.
libraries) have worse hit rates than monolithic programs because the code
they are executing is all over the place.

> It wasn't clear to
> me whether that number meant, "I'm low on memory" or "I'm greedily reserving a
> bunch of swap memory just in case I run out of RAM in some time in the distant
> future". I didn't want to upgrade RAM unless it is actually being used for
> something :)

I understand the feeling, but have found that the memory has always been
worth it.  Just the other day, I noticed that my Netscape was using 180MB.
One bad programmer is all it takes to abuse your system.

> I just wish the following would work:
>
>    gzip /dev/mem > /dev/mem
*laugh*

It does work.  If you want all types of interesting behaviour!