[NCLUG] ISDN hardware and configuration

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sat Jun 15 10:06:27 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jake Edge" <jake at edge2.net>
To: <nclug at nclug.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: [NCLUG] ISDN hardware and configuration

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 11:33:53PM -0600, Frank Whiteley wrote:
> > I see no such plan on the Qwest.net site, unlimited access is not 24/7
> > dedicated.
> > >From their site
> > <quote>
> > Unlimited Internet Access: Customers have unlimited access as long as
they
> > are actually using the Internet to send and receive data. Should their
> > connection be idle for up to thirty minutes, Qwest.net will drop their
> > connection.
> > <unquote>
> > I suspect if you overuse their ports, you will be warned about the above
> > AUP, given the option for 24/7 at a specified cost, and dropped if you
don't
> > comply.
>
> Well, all I can say is that I discussed it with the person that sold me
> the service and they said it was OK and it makes sense that if you buy
> static IP addresses from them that 24/7 connection is what makes sense.
> In addition, so far at least, I have had no problems ... their docs
> make it clear that if you want to run a server you will have to get
> Static IP addresses ... that would imply 24/7 ... <shrug>

> > FRII will definitely not allow 24/7 except for dedicated access rates.
>
> which is something like $200/month when I looked into it ...

Which more realistically reflects the cost.  ISDN ports are the same as
analog ports except that you get the full 64k bandpath.  In the dial-up
world, it's $20/month for most full access providers (by this I mean ISPs
that provide reliable access with minimal problems, web space, e-mails,
shell access, anonymous FTP, CGI, and so on.  Let's not confuse full access
with the likes of Bluelight, AOL, MSN, Earthlink, etc).  Today, most dial-up
access providers are running 5 accounts per port, which is why $200/month is
sensible for a dedicated ISDN line.  Qwest is losing money if they allow you
24/7 at $29/month.  Maybe they're too stupid to notice or maybe it's just
part of the squeeze on the competition.  There were several Front Range ISPs
who had bad business plans, they are no longer with us (remember Pawnee Net,
Info2000, ImageNet, CTOS, BewellNet, VCI2000, Integrity Online, RMI, ICC?).
Qwest is one of the Baby Bells that have been lobbying congress and the FCC
(along with the cable monopolies) for protection from the Telecommunications
Act of 1996 by having cable and DSL redefined as 'information services'
rather than 'telecommunications services'.  This will allow them to close
access to their services.  Qwest is accused of slow rolling deployment of
DSL until they can shut out the competition.  Had trouble getting DSL at
your location?  Recent studies have show that as these large cable and phone
companies become dominant in a region, prices go up and service goes down.

I guess I just would like to know how open source advocates can reconcile
using closed access proponents?

Frank Whiteley