[NCLUG] any experience modifying gcc specs files?

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Thu Jun 20 15:37:01 MDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 03:22:44PM -0600, Mike Loseke wrote:
>  I will have to try that. Unfortunately, 'make bootstrap' takes over 4
> hours on my little old Ultra2. I've not dinked with any of those options
> before - anything to look out for?

Yeah, I've read davem's whinges about Solaris suckitude before ;-)

>  My goal here is to use a --prefix=/foo/bar/baz compiled gcc which is NFS
> mounted (non-local disk space in a non-normal path) which, when accessed
> by users at all sites, creates a binary that knows where to find everything
> (within gcc anyway) that it needs to run.

--prefix is obvious... depending whether you give a damn about Java, Ada,
C++ et al, you may wish to play with --enable-languages (if you disable
libjava, your build time should be reduced dramatically).  If you don't
care about localisation, you may additionally wish to --disable-nls.