[NCLUG] Re: x startup

G.T. (Ted) Anderson-Newton, P.E. ted.anderson at attbi.com
Sun May 5 12:46:42 MDT 2002

I would like to thank Marcio Teixeira and Charles Clarke
for their assistance with getting x running on one of my boxes.

First I followed Charles advice, but found all of the files in place.
mkfontdir would not run though, as I recall.

Ultimately Marcio's advice on rpm uncovered the problem:

rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.so.1.3

returned something like "no association" or
"not owned by anyone"  [my apologies for the
paraphrasing  8^)       ]
rather than   "XFree86-libs-4.0.3-5"

So I got out the CDs found the library rpm,
and typed in something like:

rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-libs-4.0.3-5.rpm

That seemed to go without a hitch.

Then I typed startx.  The monitor trembled a little and then
showed a garbled image.  I remembered reading something
about Ctrl-backspace to change resolutions. I tried that and
suddenly there was the login screen!

Thanks again guys for the support------
My wife, who hasn't used a PC since the DOS days, will now
be able to leapfrog Windows and move straight into GNU
without having to unlearn anything.

Regards,
Ted