[NCLUG] IP: Open Source programs for Peru's government (fwd from: dfarber at earthlink.net)

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Sun May 5 14:50:18 MDT 2002

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dfarber at earthlink.net> -----

Delivered-From: owner-ip-sub-1-outgoing at admin.listbox.com
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 16:10:06 -0400
From: "David Farber" <dfarber at earthlink.net>
Subject: IP: Open Source programs for Peru's government
To: ip-sub-1 at majordomo.pobox.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Luigidigi <luigidigi at cwpanama.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 14:58:44
To: farber at cis.upenn.edu
Subject: Open Source programs for Peru's government

In a letter to the GM of Microsoft Peru, Peruvian congressman Dr Edgar
David Villanueva Nuñez trashes every argument and FUD the MS machine
throws at the Peruvian government, point by point.
The original letter from MS Peru was with regards to a bill in the
Peruvian congress that aims at using Open Source programs for its
administrative government offices.
Mr Villanueva explains knowleagebly and with details why the Open Source
programs are better for a country like Peru. Well worth the time to read
it, it should be obligatory reading at Washington DC.

Read the letter here
<http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:TvfSi6UFJpQC:www.gnu.org.pe/resmseng.html+&hl=en&lr=lang_en>
or at:
http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:TvfSi6UFJpQC:www.gnu.org.pe/resmseng.html+&hl=en&lr=lang_en

A few excerpts, in no particular order:

"The inclusion of the intellectual property of others in works claimed
as one's own is not a practice that has been noted in the free software
community; whereas, unfortunately, it has been in the area of proprietry
software. As an example, the condemnation by the Commercial Court of
Nanterre, France, on 27th September 2001 of Microsoft Corp. to a penalty
of 3 million francs in damages and interest, for violation of
intellectual property (piracy, to use the unfortunate term that your
firm commonly uses in its publicity)."

"To guarantee national security or the security of the State, it is
indispensable to be able to rely on systems without elements which allow
control from a distance or the undesired transmission of information to
third parties. Systems with source code freely accessible to the public
are required to allow their inspection by the State itself, by the
citizens, and by a large number of independent experts throughout the
world. Our proposal brings further security, since the knowledge of the
source code will eliminate the growing number of programs with *spy code*."

"In addition, a reading of your opinion would lead to the conclusion
that the State market is crucial and essential for the proprietary
software industry, to such a point that the choice made by the State in
this bill would completely eliminate the market for these firms. If that
is true, we can deduce that the State must be subsidising the
proprietary software industry. In the unlikely event that this were
true, the State would have the right to apply the subsidies in the area
it considered of greatest social value; it is undeniable, in this
improbable hypothesis, that if the State decided to subsidize software,
it would have to do so choosing the free over the proprietary,
considering its social effect and the rational use of taxpayers money."

Ehem, I need this guy to represent me. :)

Luis Lima

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/

----- End forwarded message -----