[NCLUG] users only

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed May 29 07:55:44 MDT 2002

Thus spake Matthew Wilcox:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 12:46:23AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > What's wrong with restricting the list to memebers only?  In particular,
> > with mailman you can subscribe multiple addresses, but only enable delivery
> > for one of them, so it's not SO bad...  BLUG is closed and folks seem not
> > too unhappy with that.  CLUE is also closed...
>
> I'm extremely unhappy with that.  When people cross-post messages between
> BLUG and NCLUG, I get these obnoxious `your message has been held for
> moderation' messages.  See the rants against sistina running closed
> lists ad nauseam.

 Moderation is different than closing a list to only accept mail from
subscribed members. Back when I was running the nclug list at one point I
set it to only accept mail from subscribed members and the only reason it
was unset was that the majordomo capability it was using then wasn't able
to set an address as "ok, but don't deliver to it". Sean and I saw some
issues with that and we opened it back up.

 Personally, I find the current setting of not setting the Reply-to header
to the list to be the pain in the arse. Instead of hitting "reply" I have
to do "reply to all" which is an alien function to my hands after, good
lord, how many years on this list? I just see it causing more confusion and
missed posts because someone did a quick reply and it only went to the
single recipient.

--
   Mike Loseke    | The central problem in fundamental physics is
 mike at verinet.com | that quantum physics and Einstein's theory of