[NCLUG] HP ScanJet 6200C Victory

Rich Young rich at republicoftech.com
Thu Nov 7 17:46:18 MST 2002

Hey, all, this was going to be a question, but I solved the problem without
y'all for once. So I am posting what I did right, since the nclug archives
get spidered, in hopes that the steps I followed will help somebody else some
day.

Initially, XSane was reporting that no devices were found.  I was following
the advice in David Nelson's scanner-hp-sane.txt that comes with the SANE HP
packages, which indicated a couple things that turned out to be substantially
different on my system:
1) David indicated that $INSTALL_DIR may be /usr, /usr/local, /opt or
somewhere else.  On my KRUD/Red Hat 7.2 system, the installation directory
was split between /usr/lib/sane/ and /etc/sane.d/

2) David also instructs the user to put the following line into
$INSTALL_DIR/etc/sane.d/hp.conf -- a typo, I think, as it was
/etc/sane.d/hp.conf on my system -- anyway, the line:
/dev/usbscanner
When I did this, XSane reported that it found no devices.  I went wading into
/dev, and tried
/dev/usb/scanner0
And it worked!

Now, when I scanned in color, I got color inversion, a split of the image,
and I/O error messages from the scanner (an HP ScanJet 6200C, for the
record).  Recognizeable, but still not right.  In the end, XSane's View:Show
Advanced Options dialog allowed me to set the Color Matrix setting to
"Pass-through", which got me error-free, accurate scans.  Problem solved.

Now on to the digital camera....

--Rich