[NCLUG] scsi2 card

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Nov 7 20:25:50 MST 2002

	From: dmiles <dmiles at holly.colostate.edu>

	I've recently come by an old HP optical backup drive that is to connect via
	scsi2 (50 pin) so I need a PCI SCSI controller.

	Now, I've recently been burned buying hardware that wasn't very Linux-able so
	I'm wondering if any of you have SCSI controllers that work under Linux that
	you could recommend to me.

	Anybody have suggestions?

Adaptec 2940 cards are generally a good bet. They have a high
density SCSI-2 external connector, so you will need a HD50 to
SCSI-1 50pin cable which are generally easy to come by.

Cards which have NCR/SYMBIOS/LSI 53C8xx chips also generally work
well under linux.

Make sure you get a single ended narrow adapter card, or things can
get fun with the cable and termination.

Have fun,
John