[NCLUG] scsi2 card

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Fri Nov 8 08:51:57 MST 2002

Thus spake dmiles:

> I've recently come by an old HP optical backup drive that is to connect via
> scsi2 (50 pin) so I need a PCI SCSI controller.
>
> Now, I've recently been burned buying hardware that wasn't very Linux-able so
> I'm wondering if any of you have SCSI controllers that work under Linux that
> you could recommend to me.
>
> Anybody have suggestions?

 There's a hardware compatability howto:

 http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Hardware-HOWTO/

 You can also look through the kernel source at the particular scsi drivers
to see how well supported certain cards are by the different drivers. This
method has worked extremely well for me in the past checking to see how
well particular models of cards work with my kernel and what (if any)
flakiness is known about the cards with possible workarounds. This file
for instance:

 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx

 and the other readmes in there, quite helpful.

--
   Mike Loseke    | A Buddhist monk walks up to a hotdog stand
 mike at verinet.com | and says:   "Make me one with everything."