[NCLUG] ds: no socket drivers loaded!

Christopher C.J. Keist cjay at engr.colostate.edu
Thu Nov 14 09:37:24 MST 2002

I hope someone can respond quickly, because in 5 seconds I'm going to be
tossing my PC out the window!!!!!!
Anyway, I had a perfectly happy PC running RH7.3, until I decided to see
if I could get the modem to work on it.  I looked at what type of modem
I had (Rockwell International HCF 56K data/fax modem) and saw that I
needed to down load drivers for it.  I did and loaded the drivers, then
rebooted the system.  When the system came back up the network card was
no longer working, and checking dmesg I saw the ds: no socket drivers
loaded!.
Well, I then removed the modem drivers "rpm -e" and rebooted again.
Still no working network card, I tried booting to my backup kernel,
still no luck.
I have run "redhat-config-network" and redefined my network card, and
still I get that accursed ds: no socket drivers loaded!.

Does anyone have any ideas on this????

Thanks...

C.J. Keist                                                     Phone:
970-491-0630
UNIX/Network Manager                           Fax: 970-491-5569
Colorado State University                        email:
cjay at engr.colostate.edu
Dean of Engineering

I just want the chance to prove, "Money can't buy happiness"....