[NCLUG] Mass Storage Device/Digital Camera

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 25 09:39:18 MST 2002

To use a camera in 'Digital Camera mode' you'll need to use some sort of
camera driver, might want to take a look at gphoto (www.gphoto.org).  I
don't know if this camera is supported by gphoto, but you won't be able to
access the camera as a "disk drive," but, you would be able to control
the camera to take pictures and manually download pictures one at a time.
This requires device specific support in the software.

In "mass storage mode" your camera should appear as a disk drive to the
host computer.  As said, it should show up as a msdos filesystem.  It
should also show up as a SCSI drive, so if everything is setup/compiled
correctly, it will be /dev/sda1 if you have no other scsi/idescsi devices.
This is a generic software interface for all USB storage devices, except
if the hardware has quirks...

Since I don't have this particular camera I'm just basing this off of what
I've messed with off my Olympus C3040 and Microtech "Zio!" USB devices...

-bc