[NCLUG] Debian Woody on PowerBook 3400c

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Sat Sep 14 13:41:29 MDT 2002

Today I've decided to give Debian 3.0 a try out on my old PowerBook 3400c and
so far I'm not having a whole lot of luck with it.

Currently I am unable to start up X. It does not startup because during
installation I incorrectly specified a PS/2 mouse, which I do not have. I
know this was dumb, but I chose that one because the install program for
Debian gave me a whole lot of options that weren't applicable (PS/2, serial,
etc) but not the "ADB" which is what my PowerBook has and was what I had
expected to see on the list.

A few questions:

  1) Why does the install program give me so many options which are only
relevant for a IBM-PC? It almost seems as if the install sequence was made
for the IBM-PC and was not tailored for the Macs.

  2) Is the PowerPC Debian port still a "work-in-progress"? Am I better off
sticking with SuSE or some other distribution until the bugs get ironed out?

  3) How do I fix my X server so it starts up? I wish I hadn't blown away my
working SuSE 8.0 installation, because then it would have been a simple
matter of comparing the X configuration files :(

Marcio Luis Teixeira