[NCLUG] Re: ssh thru a proxy - clarification

Dan Fink danbob at starband.net
Mon Sep 30 14:12:19 MDT 2002

>Message: 1
>Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 08:35:44 -0600
>From: Sean Reifschneider <jafo-nclug at tummy.com>
>To: nclug at nclug.org
>Subject: Re: [NCLUG] ssh through a proxy

Thanks for your response!

>First of all, what's the story with the "<mailto...>"?

Oooops, the <mailto> was accidentally put in there  by Mozilla  I think....

>The first part of the -L option specifies port 22 on the local machine
>(so you presumably aren't running an SSH daemon on your local machine,
>because it would be taking up port 22 and wouldn't allow the forward
>to happen).  Then you say that you want it to be forwarded over the SSH
>connection to port 22 on 192.168.0.1.  Can the "xyz.com" machine directly
>connect to the 192.168.0.1 IP?

OK, now I'm a bit confused by which is the "local" machine...here's what
I have going. The host machine has 2 NICs, one attached to the Starband
VSAT modem with IP 148.xx.xx.xx, and one attached to the LAN hub, with
IP 192.168.0.1. The client machine (Linux) has an IP of 192.168.0.2.  I
set the proxy software (running on WinME) on the host machine to listen
on port 22 from only the 192.168.x.x address range, and forward to port
22 on our server at Tummy.com. So a better question on my part would've
been:

How do I log onto our server at Tummy using ssh from the client machine,
through the proxy host machine? I think the proxy is set up correctly
for listening on port 22 on the WinME host machine. I also just acquired
Browsegate, as Sean recommended, and could try that also.

Thanks again...
Dan