[NCLUG] April NCLUG Meeting

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Mon Apr 7 02:37:03 MDT 2003

Matt Taggart writes...

> Followed by:  A short discussion about fighting spam on the mailing list.

Or was it a fight about discussing spam on the mailing list?

I'm the reason that the list hasn't been "posting by members only" until now.

I'm against causing people to change their behavior(by only posting using
subscribed addresses) and breaking up timely discussion(by queing non-list
member contributions via crossposting). I'd much rather combat spam with
non-invasive measures. IF every available non-invasive measure has been used
AND the level of spam is enough to warrant everyone on the list changing their
behavior and added risk of slowing down discussion(or pissing off
crossposters) THEN I think it might finally make sense.

As for the moderator receiving extra bounces, spam already causes the
moderator to get two messages(the mailman queue message and the bounce on the
sender queue notification). So this would be no different for the real spams,
but would require more effort for the real postings. But not too big a deal.
(He says as he hands over moderation to James) :)

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org