[NCLUG] April NCLUG Meeting

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Mon Apr 7 04:09:06 MDT 2003

"J. Paul Reed" writes...

> On 07 Apr 2003 at 02:37:03, Matt Taggart moved bits on my disk to say:
>
> > I'm against causing people to change their behavior(by only posting using
> > subscribed addresses) and breaking up timely discussion(by queing
> > non-list member contributions via crossposting).
>
> A lot of people find crossposting rude. And ultimately, I guess a lot of
> people disagree(d) with you; modifying behavior sucks, but getting more
> spam (and making the list a sitting duck for spammers) sucks more.
>
> Personally, I think the decision should have been made by a group vote
> (which I hear it finally was), not what one person thought was best for the
> group.
>
> From what others have said, I think that's what irked a lot of us... the
> fiat under which this policy was implemented, without asking the group what
> they wanted.

Perhaps I should have been more verbose.

I kept the list the way it was for the following reasons,

* The last time the issue came up there was no clear consensus and several
   people very opposed to changing it from the current setting
* SPAM has grown exponentially during my list-admin-ship
* New spam fighting techniques(spamassassin mostly) were working well and
   I held out hope that it wouldn't be necessary

I felt that I was doing the best thing for the list under the circumstances.

Paul don't turn this into something it's not.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org