[NCLUG] Networking at the library.

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Fri Aug 8 14:45:24 MDT 2003

sean,

the public library is in transition right now as far as technology
goes. the head technology person (kim crowley, you've met her at my
place) recently resigned and they are in the process of re-hiring that
position.

that being said, i have a feeling that the library staff will be
cautious about making changes to the network. especially opening it up,
so to speak. harmony library is a joint effort between the city and the
community college and they really need to be careful about making sure
folks are on the same page and all parties can accomplish what they
need to with the network. i know that initially, different parties were
responsible for different parts of the network, and they were trying to
smooth some of that out.

i imagine with the right approach, they'd be willing, especially if
they understood how it would benefit them.

mike

joseph, i heard a rumor you were gonna apply for kim's job. is that
true?

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 02:24 PM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> I was at the Harmony branch of the public library a few months ago and
> was asking around a bit about networking there.  They have a really
> nice
> meeting space there that would be perfect for install fests and the
> like, and should be much easier to deal with than trying to negotiate
> things with the CSU LUG.
>
> They have networking in there, but only internal networking, which we
> couldn't use for any NCLUG meetings.  They've talked about setting up
> the ability for people to use the net there, but want to make the
> public
> part of the net segmented from the rest of the net.
>
> I mentioned that NCLUG is a networking group and that my company does
> this sort of thing as part of it's business, plus many people in the
> group are very familiar with it.  I explained that we'd donate time and
> probably equipment to get it so that there was usable net at the
> library, but the person I was speaking to there couldn't have been less
> interested.  I left my card, but haven't heard a peep.
>
> So, my question is wether there's interest in setting up the library
> such that we could more easily have regular install-fests, and if
> anyone
> has any contacts at the library that might take it more seriously.  Or
> perhaps some other ideas on how to approach it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Sean

  -- mike cullerton