[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Aug 20 16:34:37 MDT 2003

Mike Loseke <mike at verinet.com> writes:
> Semantics.

Exactly ... if we are going to accept English as our language
of communication then all parties are expected to adhere to
that standard ... including the precise definitions of the
words we use.

Improperly using the language is not an acceptable excuse.

Under the law, worst case, SCO can claim that nearly every
line of code derived from illegally copied/derived/tainted
code introduced into Linux is also code derived from their
designs, architecture, methodology, practice, etc.

Under this theory, not only is the code contributed by
UNIX systems programmers infringing, but all code based on,
or influenced by, the infringing code developed by 3rd party
systems programmers not directly UNIX internals aware as well.

There are many examples of this same theory in other areas
protected by copyright ... particulary fictional writings
where the characters, settings, names, plot, etc ... are all
protected from knock offs and other authors attempting to
capitalize on the popularity of a story line by writing
additional episodes and/or plots using the same characters
and/or settings which are clearly derivative of the popular
work.

John