[NCLUG] Backup to another HDD? CD-RW issues?

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Wed Aug 27 09:58:58 MDT 2003

Dan,

If the two HDDs have identical geometry, you could simply make a
one-to-one copy using dd:

	- boot off some rescue floppy or CD

	- run
		dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

	  where hda is your source disk, and hdb is the destination.

If the geometry isn't identical, you could create partitions of
approximately the same size on the target disk, and copy your data
using dump and restore. Again, this is best acomplished when your root
partition is mounted read-only, or if you boot from a
CD/floppy/whatever.

	- make sure you format your swap partition, e.g.
		mkswap /dev/hdb1
	- copy all files from your root (and other) partitions:
		mke2fs /dev/hdb2
		mkdir /tmp/target
		mount /dev/hdb2 /tmp/target
		cd /tmp/target
		dump 0f - /dev/hda2 | restore rf -
		rm restoresymtable

	at this point, you still need to install the bootloader (run
lilo or grub). I would replace the target drive as hda (that's what
*it* thinks it is, now :) ) and then, after booting from CD again, I'd
run

	mount /dev/hda2 /tmp/target
	chroot /tmp/target /sbin/lilo  (or grub, depending on what you
use).

Now you'd be ready to boot off your new "hda" drive.

Hope this helps,
Gabriel