[NCLUG] Backup to another HDD? CD-RW issues?

Daniel Miles milesd at cs.colostate.edu
Wed Aug 27 10:02:54 MDT 2003

I might be able to help you with the CD-R issue:
You probably have an IDE CD-R device and you need to emulate SCSI on it:

First, you need "ide-scsi" in your kernel, a module is fine but you need
it (you'll also need scsi-cdrom support and scsi-general support of
course). Next, your lilo boot record should pass "hdx=scsi." For
instance, my lilo.conf says:
image=/boot/2.4.21
	label=2.4.21
	read-only
	append="hdd=scsi"
Then, if all goes according to plan, you should be able (as root) to
type cdrecord --scanbus and get something like this:

Jane:/home/shaggy# cdrecord --scanbus
Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
	0,0,0	  0) 'PHILIPS ' 'PCRW404         ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
	0,1,0	  1) *
	0,2,0	  2) *
	0,3,0	  3) *
	0,4,0	  4) *
	0,5,0	  5) *
	0,6,0	  6) *
	0,7,0	  7) *
Jane:/home/shaggy#

If you see that and your drive still doesn't work, I don't know how to
help you but I've found this howto really useful:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html