[NCLUG] Debian sid & xfree86 4.2.1-7

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Sun Jun 8 17:07:32 MDT 2003

"Wayne Schneider" writes...

> I am running sid in an Inspiron 8K (Rage Mobility 128) with xfree86 4.2.1-7 w
> ith the 2.4.21-rc6 kernel.  I had X and Enlightenment running great, but with
>  the last apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade X windows will start howeve
> r is now giving me an error.  I understand that this might be cause by trying
>  to run X as root, but this was while trying as user.
>
> The error shown in /var/log/XFree86.0.log is the following:
>
> Hitachi TX38D99VC1CAA
> Color, Single, TFT
> AUDIT: Sun Jun 8 13:43:25 2003: 508 X: client 1 refected from local host
>   Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
> Xlib: connection to "0.0" refused bt server
> Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
>
> This has me stumped purly by the fact that only updating the Xfree86 packages
>  would cause this.  Can any of you explain what is happening or point me in t
> he right direction?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you using xdm? If so have you restarted the xdm daemon since the
upgrade? Or maybe you don't use xdm(and use startx or something) and
the upgrade caused xdm to run and that's why you're getting the error.

Is your DISPLAY variable set? Having it set to different things will
cause different paths through the security and networking code, some
behavior you were counting on before might have changed.

Maybe your .Xauthority file got corrupted or has the wrong permissions?
Read the xauth(1) man page for help debugging that.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org