[NCLUG] more info

Nick Lang nlang at simla.colostate.edu
Thu Nov 6 15:06:58 MST 2003

I'm going to try and answer everything in this email.

    I've had Knoppix on my system, and wanted to go to a more "real" linux
distro.
     I like redhat(Krud) I have it on my desktop, but when trying to install
on my
    laptop I get lots of problems (related to pcmcia, etc...won't boot on
install
    etc...after research I found that debian works on my system.)

    I have an hp ze4125 with Debian (woody) installed, and the stock 2.2
kernel.

    I looked at http://www.hussar.demon.co.uk/linux/hpze4125.htm, which
accounts
    an experience of debian (woody the version I have) on the exact same
computer.
     But for some reason i can't get my nic configured, which I think would
help
    get things rolling cause I'm stuck with my laptop being unpluged all time.
    tried to install the module for the "National Semiconductor Corporation
    DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller" chip, but once I got that done (I
may
    have screwed up) I still couldn't get my computer to conect to a DHCP
server.

    will have to get back to you on the lspci output, (on windows partion
    currently so I can check and write email etc...)

    hopfully this is enough info for y'all if there are anymore questions let
me
    know!

    Thanks much
    Nick

"Every time you learn a little bit more
about your universe, you become a
little bit more powerful." --Saul Perlmutter