[NCLUG] a rather different view of the rh thing (a bit about sooze also)

Intrinsic Spin spin at freakbait.com
Mon Nov 10 14:29:12 MST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:48:37PM -0700, Mike Loseke wrote:

>  Whether or not Fedora will be any less capable, reliable or supported
> than RHEL - I don't know, we'll have to watch and see. Community support
> will probably spring up pretty fast around it and I'd be surprised if we
> don't see a RHN replacement for Fedora before the end of the year.

Fedora already uses yum -- you can do up2date from plain-old FTP servers,
which is really nice.  In general, it already "feels" like it's going to
be a lot more apt-like.

Also, dulug (dulug.duke.edu) is already hosting two mailing lists --
Fedora-legacy and University Linux -- whose goals seem to be to provide
errata and back-porting support to certain Fedora releases.

I'm actually very excited about Fedora.  It's starting to look like it
will be the best of Red Hat and Debian put into one distro.

-Spin