[NCLUG] a rather different view of the rh thing (a bit about sooze also)

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Tue Nov 11 14:48:22 MST 2003

jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
> So when is something ready for prime time? It's not clear to me
> that RedHat's GCC 3.0 call was a bad one, nor their early adoption
> of 2.4.x kernels.

The Debian model works well for deciding when something is ready for
primetime.  The users decide.  As new packages or major upgraded
packages are put in (starting in unstable), testers and brave users
pound them, file bug reports, and when there are sufficiently few minor
problems remaining, packages are promoted into testing and eventually
the testing release is rolled and becomes the stable release.  With
Debian's package management model, you can also decide to be on the
leading edge if you want to, whether all in the testing or unstable
pools with both feet, or just in one or both by a toe.

E.g., I can use PostgreSQL from the testing release and use Gnome 2.4
from the unstable release, if I want to.  (And I want to.)

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Network Architect  --  milli at acmeps.com