[NCLUG] Re: anyplace in town sell linux wlan pcmcia cards?

Matt Rosing rosing at peakfive.com
Fri Nov 14 12:47:38 MST 2003

nclug-request at nclug.org writes:

 > Correction: this is why hardware vendors (who you think would just be
 > interested in doing whatever would sell the most hardware), as you so
 > eloquently put it, suck.

Well, I'll give you that one. How about, adding hardware sucks.
Adding software is always a breeze.

 > http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison
 >
 > is very useful.

It is.  Now I have more questions.  How do I know what kind of pcmcia
I have? There's PCMCIA, PCMCIA 16, and PCMCIA II. Or do I care?  I
have a toshiba 7100 protoge.

And this is why it would be nice to buy it locally.  If I get the
wrong version I can take it back.

 > Except that in the time you've been mucking around trying to find one

Yeah yeah yeah.

 > locally, you could have gotten a nice one online, like an Orinoco or one
 > of the Senao cards with +9dB of receiver sensitivity and that can
 > operate up to 200mW.

Can I turn it down to the 30mW I'll only need in my house?  Or is this
so I can use my neighbor's network?  Actually, what prevents anyone
from using mine without my knowing about it?

One more question.  Is 802.11g really a standard?  I found an 802.11g
hub with a discount at best buy and I'd hang onto it assuming some day
there are 802.11g linux drivers, but if it's not really a standard
then it's not worth the extra money.

Thanks for everyone's help

Matt