[NCLUG] cd writer

Daniel Miles milesd at cs.colostate.edu
Mon Nov 24 13:12:48 MST 2003

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 notebook with a cd writer in it. The writer,
for some strange reason, is on /dev/hda... So, in my lilo.conf file, I
have append="hda=ide-scsi".

I have the ide-scsi driver compiled as a module but when I insert that
module, the system freezes and I have to hold down the power button for
5 seconds to turn it off... When I *don't* pass that info the the kernel
and I just use the device as an ide device, it works fine (but not as a
burner). This is a bummer because I'd really like to use the burner.

There are no error logs that I can find (though I'm hardly an expert at
finding error logs if you think there might be something somewhere) and
the system just hangs.

This happens on 2.2.19, 2.4.21 and 2.4.22 and it seems to happen
regaurdless of weather or not I compile the ide-scsi driver as a module
or not.

The strange thing about it was that it worked on 2.2.19 when I installed
the (debian) system but it does not work now, even though I have made no
changes to that kernel.

Ok, that's all the information I can think to suppply. Thanks for giving
this a shot. :)