[NCLUG] 'we have met the enemy, and he is us'

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Thu Oct 16 15:31:31 MDT 2003

On 16 Oct 2003 at 09:42:59, Dennis Clark moved bits on my disk to say:

>   Yes, I've installed Visual Studio, a couple of times.  Just because
> they are both "ick" doesn't make either one nice.

My point is this: you're claiming installing compilers is hard; it's not,
but assuming it is, it's not "easy" on any other platform either.

VS.NET comes on something like 7 CDs and takes up four *gigs* of space
(that's a base install, folks). It also replaces a bunch of system DLLs
"for you" so you get some debugging hooks and other nice features.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad GCC doesn't *replace* glibc with
a more complicated debug version that breaks things.

> At least the Windoze version didn't require me to figure out tool chain
> dependencies, hack makefiles, and build the system from the ground up...

Neither does GCC, if you install it with rpm, apt-get, emerge or any one
of a number of other package management systems..

> Of course, as
> someone else mentioned, the gnu stuff is "free", and it isn't any
> easier to install on any other system either. :(  I suppose the compiler
> example isn't a very good one.  I've not tried to install Star Office,
> I run M$ Office on my Mac so I didn't need it.

I've heard people complain about StarOffice/OpenOffice installation issues;
I've never had a problem.

Later,
Paul
J. Paul Reed -- 0xDF8708F8 || preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
                                            -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I use PGP; you should use PGP too... if only to piss off John Ashcroft