[NCLUG] Cant boot new kernel/booting using GRUB bootloader

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Fri Oct 24 14:55:19 MDT 2003

No init found means it didn't find your root filesystem that contains
/sbin/init ... Sure you got the right root partition?  I think the first
error that was received was because it couldn't find a proper initrd.

the LABEL=/ is autodetected from the initrd (did you hack it with the
proper version modules?  The initrd is kernel version specific).  If you
don't have a proper initrd it will not be able to find the real rootfs.

I find the initrd's just to be a hassle but makes recovery slightly
easier (for tools to autodetect which partition is root), don't bother
with initrd if you already have your root dir setup properly and know
which partition it is (with /sbin/init).  It also looks like from your
'df' output that you should pass root=/dev/hda2 not /dev/hda1...

keep in mind grub paths have nothing to do with real paths, even though
directories appear to show up...

If you're getting "Calculating delay loop..." your kernel is probably
fine...

-bc