[NCLUG] Cant boot new kernel/booting using GRUB bootloader

Garett VanBeber aka GMAN garett at preciselygreen.com
Fri Oct 24 20:31:07 MDT 2003

ok, I'm embarrased now...helps if you put the right root vol in there!!

/dev/hda2

However, I have other problems with the kernel (Hopefully I can fix that)

This was the process I used for Redhat, tell me if this is wrong.

1. Download source from kernel.org
2. Install to /usr/src
3. Untar src
4. make clean
5. make mrproper
6. make xconfig or make menuconfig
7. make dep
8. vi Makefile
9. name kernel...In my case "Extraversion=-22gmv"
10. make bzImage
11. make modules
12. make modules_install
13. make install (apparently this creates the .img file in /boot, which it
did)

This was all I did according to the destructions I have.  However, I did
have to insert /dev/hda2, but the instructions never made mention of it.
So my question is why does my original kernel boot with "LABEL="  It is
not specific when I look at grub.conf.

Thank you,

Garett