[NCLUG] SCO Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Oct 26 23:51:41 MST 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:01:50PM -0600, jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
>For those that missed this, it's a valuable read in understanding the

Yeah, John, I think it's pretty much impossible for anyone who's been on
NCLUG for the last few months to have missed your opinions on how SCO
has been wronged.  If you just want to stir up the hornets nest again,
which is kind of what it looks like when you post a 2-month-old URL
about it, I'm sure some members would prefer that you refrain.

Just to re-iterate what I said during it's last round: the Open Source
community does *NOT* take IP lightly.  If people inappropriately
contributed closed code to Open Source projects, we will help SCO track
them down.  If IBM contributed code that they had no rights to, the
legal system will determine what penalties they have to pay, and IBM
will deserve them.

I'm not happy that SCO is asking Linux users to pay licensing fees
without any proof of violation.  The claims that they've given the
public as proof seem to have been quite handily refuted by the Open
Source camp as IP that SCO does not own exclusive (if any) right to.

So, we've re-stated the opinions that we stated a few months ago.  If
there's something that you have that's new to add to the discussion,
have at it.  If you just want to poke where it's tender to provoke a
reaction, please don't.

Thanks,
 If I built a talking Barbie, it would say "Date math is hard."
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 2000