[NCLUG] Recovering from failed RH8 install

nighthawk999 nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
Fri Sep 26 06:03:59 MDT 2003

Hello all,

I see that the next Install-Fest is a ways off.
Any chance someone could help me recover
from a failed install of Red Hat 8 on a Thinkpad
600? The biggest problem is X. I want an all
KDE desktop like I'm used to in RH6.2.
What I got instead is a confusing mess of
part Gnome, part KDE - I think they called
it BlueCurve or something. What do I need to
do to dump it?

Another problem is support for the sound card.
The TP600 has a Crystal Audio card. SNDCONFIG
doesn't let me edit any parameters. I got support
on a TP760 (RH6.2) by telling SNDCONFIG that
I had a Soundblaster Pro - it works fine. Why
can't I do the same on RH8?

Last problem is the ACP Winmodem. IBM offers
Linux drivers for this. The instructions said to
add the startup script to NTSYSV so the
modem is activated at boot time. I tried that
and got a window where I couldn't edit any
of the fields - wound up turning off something
else by mistake and then couldn't ping localhost.

If I brought the machine to the Hacker Society
meeting on 9/30 would there be anybody that
would be willing to help with this?

TIA,

Shorter