[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG Digest, Vol 6, Issue 8

Anthony Earl Anthony.Earl at MountainAvenue.com
Thu Apr 15 12:13:46 MDT 2004

>Next project is to do a Complete-Baremetal-Backup-and-
>Recovery of this computer (TP600) to replace the 3 gb
>hard drive with a 10 gb hard drive. Have any of y'all
>done this ... and are there any gotchas I should know
>about?
>
>Thanks again,
>Shorter Rankin
>nighthawk999_at_NOSPAM_bigvalley.net

Moving from a smaller disc to a larger disc, I've found that the really
easy way is to get a couple of IDE adaptors that allow laptop drives to
attach to a desktop.

Put both laptop drives onto spare IDE channels in a linux desktop, make
sure you know which is which in terms of hdX.  Mount the new one as
read-only to be sure. Let's say the original is /dev/hdx and the new on
is /dev/hdn.

Just
dd if=/dev/hdx of=/dev/hdn

Just leave it to chug away at that.  Then unmount those drives and try
the new one in your laptop.  It should work just like the original
except you'll have space for new partitions.

Ant.